POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Miracle products : Re: Miracle products Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:22:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Miracle products
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 28 Nov 2009 08:03:57
Message: <4b111fbd$1@news.povray.org>
>> Disproving a theory is every bit as important as proving a theory. By
>> proving that the psychic phenominon does not exist, now nobody else
>> needs to study it. This is beneficial.
>
> If *nobody else* studying it is good, an unqualified *nobody* studying it is
> even better, is it not?

The only way to scientifically determine whether a claim is valid or not
is to, you know, actually investigate it. If we wrote off anything that
sounded too weird, human kind would never have advanced anywhere.

> Besides, the nature of paranormal claims is such that they can not be
> conclusively disproven. There will never be a study to disprove that which
> is not a theory.

The experiment in question appears to be
"I can predict the future."
"OK, predict this."
"Um, I can't."
"OK, we'll be in touch..."

> Paranormal is by definition outside the scope of science. You cannot prove
> "the answer the other way".

Depends on who's definition of "paranormal" you use.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/